Writing headlines that immediately capture the attention requires special skill.
Funny headlines are usually not intended to amuse, but do so through an unfortunate combination of words that have a double meaning.
Whether a headline is deemed funny depends very much on the mind of the reader. What seemed perfectly reasonable and accurate for the writer takes on a different dimension when seen through other eyes.
Research has shown that eight out of ten people read the headline, but only two out of ten will then continue to read the rest of the content. So the right headline is essential if the whole article is to be read.
Our Life Daily team looked through hundreds of article titles in order to make this small selection that could be described as funny headlines.
Take a few moments to browse our list and see if you think that the wording was deliberately designed to be provocative, or if it was just an unintended use of language:
1. Prostitutes Appeal to Pope
2. Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead
3. Tiger Woods plays with own balls, Nike says
4. Blind woman gets new kidney from dad she hasn’t seen in years
5. Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over
6. Iraqi Head Seeks Arms
7. Kicking Baby Considered to Be Healthy
8. Drunk Gets Nine Months in Violin Case
9. Teenage girls often have babies fathered by men
10. Sex Education Delayed, Teachers Request Training
11. Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors
12. Clinton Wins on Budget, But More Lies Ahead
13. Is there a Ring of Debris around Uranus?
14. Autos killing 110 a day, let’s resolve to do better
15. Plane Too Close to Ground, Crash Probe To
16. Dealers will hear car talk at noon
17. Squad helps dog bite victim
18. Soviet virgin lands short of goal again
19. Stiff opposition expected to casketless funeral plan
20. Organ festival ends in smashing climax
What do you thing of our selection of funny headlines?
Skeptical because you think maybe we made them up? You can check just by searching the internet. As the saying goes, sometimes “truth is stranger than fiction.”
If you have come across a funny headline that we didn’t include, you can tell us and our readers by using the comments feed below.